Friday, June 28, 2013

Ok, so I was (sort of) wrong...



So a few posts back I lamented the Supremes decision to strike down the Arizona voter ID law. It appears that while I was right on the substance (which I usually am), I was a bit hasty in my judgement of the Supremes as they weren't quite done with voter law decisions. Their other decision that the specter of 'Jim Crow' is dead and the law no longer requires the states to get pre-approval of any vote related changes from the Feds brings a breath of fresh air into the room. In fact, Texas is rolling ahead with it's voter ID laws in the wake of this ruling.

I am still not sure what is won here is more of a reprieve than a repudiation though. It seems to me that the casting out of the voter ID is still driving the boat. What I am afraid of is what I don't understand. I suspect that I am not alone in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment