Saturday, June 29, 2013

Saturday Techno-Paloosa!


It's Saturday, and time to get all the techo crap links I've collected off my plate. So in no particular order, here I go...


(H/T Gizmag.com) I saw Iron Man 3 recently, the first movie I've seem in a theater in years, and I wondered then how far out technology was to achieving what I was seeing in the exoskeleton area. Then when I saw how Honda with their whole excellent robotics knowledge base have an assisted walking device that they are ready to start marketing, I was blown away. This will revolutionize elder care. Goodbye wheelchairs - at least partially...


In other robot news, it didn't take long for the telepresence with wheels thing to become a reality. While I can see this being necessary for some, I can also see the potential for misuse. It is at most a 5 year fad I think. Consider the next step where there are no classrooms and virtual schools - not such a long step... but a cool for now technology nonetheless. 


Reinventing the wheel - what else can be said...


(H/T Gimag) So scientist have discovered that quantum entanglement is the norm rather than the exception. Like many things in mathematics, when you think about it, that seems to to be self evident, but when the pointy heads prove it, you and everyone else go Wow! Cool! I know I did...


The satellite based tracking of aircraft by the Proba-V is the logical extension of the technology used by a certain company to track ships via AIS. Much like that technology, it relies on transponders being turned on and not spoofed. To fly in today's post 9/11 world, that is assured for most populated areas. Not quite an anti-terrorist capability, but certainly a valuable tool for flight space management.


A jeep looking watercar... how neat is that? Of course, looking over the advertising material, I am a little concerned about the apparent requirement for women in these things to be hot and scantily clad... I mean doesn't it limit the market share in predominately Muslim areas?

No comments:

Post a Comment