Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Dogs, Docs, Virtual Stuff



It Ate What?

At first I was like - what? Is that Elton John's dog? Oh - right - pennies  - my bad (yeah - I am so ashamed for making that joke... that's another item for confession)

Seriously, why is this news? My daughter noted there was a dog that came into her place that ate a load of laundry, including two socks, and two T-shirts, and had to be opened up to get all that crap out. Dogs eat stuff, get over it...

___________________________________________________________

Shootout at the Poop Pile

I sympathize with the cop on this. If you take your dog to an area with leash laws and you run them off leash, you'd better be able to control it verbally no matter what. If you can't, then if it's a choice of your dog potentially hurting my dog, or your dog getting hurt, your dog gets a boot in the ribs from me every time. If it comes after me, I will use all the tools at my disposal to defend myself, be it a knife or a gun. An off leash area is a different deal. You and your dog go there at your own risk.

Yes, I have kicked the crap out of a off leash dog in an area with leash laws (and marked as such) that was going after my passive dog, then dared the asshole owner to say anything to me, and yes I carry a knife for situations where an aggressive dog may escalate the encounter. Yeah - it's a thing with me...

___________________________________________________________

Sick Fido Must Die Quickly

Another example of 'not knowing what's in the law until we pass it'. My daughter tells me that where she works they send all their test out and don't even do simple fecal counts in the office. They do X-rays, but of course get their supplies from the same place that human doctors do. Thus, with the 'tax', vets will end up bumping their rates for a whole host of things. If you don't think that is significant then either you don't own an animal or have been to the vet recently.


___________________________________________________________


No question, but this guy is one sick individual. However, he didn't eat, kidnap, or torture anyone, nor did he actually pay anyone to do it. Yet he is going to jail. Whatever the written law says, he didn't actually do anything and his crime was in his head. It is chilling to realize the law has evolved to a point where it is possible thought crimes to result in jail time. I hope there is something more to this story...
___________________________________________________________


At first I thought this was a great idea. Then, in retrospect I began to wonder if perhaps it wasn't such a great idea. I see two problems:

1) These bracelets are dependent on GPS for their tracking. It does not take a hacking master to create a device to spoof the GPS, and thus spoil the tracking advantage. A little box, strapped above the device and presto, the virtual inmate is freed. 
2) The point of locking up some non-violent offenders is to prevent them from hurting people in a non-violent way - say identity theft, check kiting, and the list goes on. If they are to be 'virtually' imprisoned this way, it is not a deterrence and does not secure society by removing them from it. 

Now for a large number of dregs pulled into the prison system by the drug war, this might make sense, assuming that the GPS spoofing issue can be solved. Perhaps a city wide tracking system using encrypted unspoofable positioning data in conjunction with the GPS. that won't stop them from running & using a spoofer for their getaway, but it will make it harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment